Translate
Online Users

In total there are 7 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests

Most users ever online was 72 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Search

Making a prosilver style look like subsilver

Prosilver versus Subsilver and related discussion

Moderator: Staff

Making a prosilver style look like subsilver

PostAuthor: Mike » Wed May 04, 2011 7:48 am

Subsilver uses simple tables and borders to create amazing looking subsilver styles...
Doing the same in prosilver is much more complicated and some would argue impossible...

You can achieve similar results in prosilver but you need to add several additional images and css classes... the more you add the closer you get... This makes porting styles from prosilver to subsilver much more complicated, not to mention the style is also slower to load especially on older systems...

One of my aims has always been to achieve the 3D look without resorting to tons of additional code, images and css classes...

GuildWarsAlliancePro
Some time ago I ported the GuildWarsAlliance style © Daniel St. Jules to a prosilver version (sgp_GuildWarsAlliance)... In this port I managed to achieve most of what I wanted, with the possible exception of the index/viewforum page. I still prefer the original subsilver styles here...

It is possible to get an exact match but this requires either the ability to set a span/div to the height of the preceding span/div (height: inherit will not work) or by wrapping all of the dt/dt with images....

Olympus Style:
The Olympus style adds pseudo 3D effects to rows by adding borders and negative margins...
2011-05-05_061002.jpg
2011-05-05_061002.jpg (22.97 KiB) Viewed 12624 times
Again the need to correct the height of elements such as dt and dt require additional work... In most cases you can correct the height to mimic preceding elements by setting a minimum height of all elements in a given row however but I'm not quite prepared to resort to this trick as it also make elements larger that necessary... Note posts and last post rows
2011-05-05_061336.jpg (73.74 KiB) Viewed 12624 times

More later...
Mike
Developer team leader
Developer team leader

Re: Making a prosilver style look like subsilver

PostAuthor: Dean » Thu May 05, 2011 4:48 pm

I took this challenge on and ventured into converting my custom style into prosilver and ran into the same problem with the look and feel of the site. In creating the style I learned how the tables worked and was able to get what I was looking for but under prosilver and css just can only come close. The biggest problem I have is the index.php and veiwforum.php.

I adjusted the css icon and topic list but can not achieve the block look and feel that subsilver provides on forum rows. In my search to see if there was a fix I found a few others out there that liked prosilver but prefer the tables in the index.php and viewforum.php.

I learned allot about css and the prosilver layout so hopefully I can start building new styles from scratch to donate to the portal.

Below is a comparison between the prosilver and subsilver styles.

A picture say's a thousand words....
Attachments
subsilver_viewforum.php.png (153.14 KiB) Viewed 12620 times
subsilver_index.php.png (196.06 KiB) Viewed 12620 times
prosilver_viewforum.php.png (153.61 KiB) Viewed 12620 times
prosilver_index.php.png (170.62 KiB) Viewed 12620 times
Dean
Staff
Staff

PostAuthor: Mike » Fri May 06, 2011 7:47 pm

Our finding are exactly the same and relate to the same pages... I did manage to get Olympus II viewforum.index_body to look better but not as good as subsilver...

If the tables are going to be dropped (I believe this is the case), then what can we do to create the excellent viewforum that subsilver provides :roll:
Will keep trying, but if we find it... we will make history :mrgreen:
2011-05-07_035856.jpg (117.48 KiB) Viewed 12615 times

2011-05-07_041531.jpg (135 KiB) Viewed 12615 times

No edits here but missing the 3D effect having two borders side by side affords...
2011-05-07_041741.jpg (47.35 KiB) Viewed 12615 times
Mike
Developer team leader
Developer team leader

PostAuthor: Mike » Fri May 06, 2011 8:34 pm

Just remembered... there is actually one/two other methods you could use to fix the problem and provide exactly the same result...
One, use images... create an image of the border and background but it needs to be an exact size...
Two, use javascript to fetch the tag data and size accordingly (height that is, width works without any size)...

We could use <span style="border: solid 1px #FFF"><span style="border: solid 1px #000; height:22px;">... Some data ...</span</span>
I believe in CSS3 you can actually create an outside and inside border for any element... never tried it but maybe... must check...
Mike
Developer team leader
Developer team leader

PostAuthor: Dean » Sat May 07, 2011 7:38 am

Thanks for the hints Mike, I will keep working on it...making history would be cool :D
Dean
Staff
Staff

PostAuthor: Mike » Sat May 07, 2011 9:12 pm

Updated prosilver today... we don't use tables any more ... :ugeek:
Mike
Developer team leader
Developer team leader

PostAuthor: Dean » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:36 pm

I have not given up on this yet just been a busy summer with new foster kids. I need to lite a fire under my rear and get back on this :ht:
Dean
Staff
Staff

Return to Prosilver versus Subsilver